Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Spanish rice

This is one of those comfort foods, at it a lot growing up foods.  I'm sure it's not terribly "Spanish" as we think of it, but that's what we called it.  It's good, simple, and pretty quick to pull together.  After the main recipe, I'll put the healthier version that I usually make and some other optional add-ins (that Mom would roll her eyes at but we enjoy them).  I usually serve this with biscuits.

Spanish Rice
serves 4-5

1 lb. hamburger
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes
3/4 cup-ish rice
water
salt and pepper

Put the hamburger, onion, and green pepper into a large pot and cook until until the meat is browned.  Add the tomatoes, rice, and a little less water per the rice directions (you'll have liquid from the tomatoes so you won't need all the water called for in cooking the rice).  Cook until the rice is done; salt and pepper to taste.
*you can add more or less of any of the ingredients to suit your taste

Healthier take on Spanish rice - I will more often use ground turkey instead of hamburger and brown rice for white.  Using turkey and brown rice gives it a more earthy flavor, one which I really like.

Stuff I add in - I usually throw in a clove or two of garlic, sometimes frozen corn, a can of drained and rinsed black beans, a few dashes of hot sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment