Saturday, September 24, 2011

Dinner and a movie

So the gang's still gone and it was just me at home again for dinner tonight.  I passed on the shrimp I mentioned yesterday since I found a pork chop in the freezer.  Why there was only one pork chop, I have no idea, but I pulled it out this morning.  I was thinking of doing the pork chop with apples, but didn't have any cider (I have a great recipe for pork chops with apples in a cider sauce).  It was a pretty simple dinner.  Since I still wanted apples I made a Waldorf salad (alas, no celery), cooked the pork chop with salt and pepper in the cast iron skillet in olive oil and butter, and sliced zucchini and cooked that up with salt and pepper.  Very good.  I'm going to use the leftover zucchini tomorrow morning in an omelet.

Since I was by myself again I decided to watch a movie and pulled out Julie and Julia.  Sweet Pea took me out to see it for my birthday when it was in the theaters a couple of years ago and we really enjoyed it.  I have a copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking, I'm sure from one of the first printings.  My grandmother had a large collection of cookbooks and I got quite a few from her collection, including this one.  One of the ways I take after her is my large cookbook collection.

After we saw the movie, Sweet Pea and I decided to make the Boeuf Bourgonine (perhaps I should go find out how to spell that!).  We followed Julia's recipe and it turned out really good.  Now that it's finally getting cooler again, perhaps we'll pull that recipe out to make again.  Hm, I'll have to add that to our menu plan in a few weeks. Sounds like a good Saturday night dinner when we have time to make it, and time to enjoy eating it.

Bon Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment