Monday, September 5, 2011

Apple Crisp

This is a two-fer recipe.  Apple crisp is great for dessert, hot out of the oven with some vanilla ice cream alongside.  It's also great the next morning for breakfast, if there's any leftover.  There usually isn't in our house but I made it in a 9 x 13 pan this time so there had better be leftovers for breakfast!

We went apple picking and I told everyone I only wanted 2 bags (1/2 bushel) today.  When we went to find the Gala apples, there weren't any (all picked already and the few that were left were split) so Bob and Sweet Pea went and got more Jonagolds, a lot more!  They were only supposed to get enough to fill the rest of the second bag but got enough for probably most of another bag!  Oh well.  Guess I'll be really busy this week.  Besides tonight's apple crisp, I'll be making apple sauce, slicing some apples for pie, trying apple butter (I love it, Bob not so much), and I'll have to find some other things to make before the apples go bad.  Hopefully some will get eaten!

Apple Crisp  modified from a recipe that I got from my mom

Apples:
2 1/2 lbs. apples peeled & sliced
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
a sprinkle of water

Topping:
1/2 lb. brown sugar
1 c. flour
2/3 c. rolled oats
1/2 Tbsp. cinnamon
1/3 tsp. salt
3/4 c. butter

Toss the apples with the lemon juice and water then spread in baking dish.  For the topping, mix all the ingredients together and sprinkle over the apples.  Bake in a 350* oven for about 40-45 minutes until the apples are soft.  Enjoy with ice cream.

I use Pampered Chef's Cinnamon Plus Spice Blend instead of cinnamon because I've got it but it doesn't really matter which you use.  I think the Cinnamon Plus just adds a little bit of extra spice since it's a blend.

No comments:

Post a Comment