Friday, September 2, 2011

Macaroni and Cheese I

This is my special occasion mac and cheese.  We call it the ewey-gooey mac and cheese because it's got lots of cheese and is plenty gooey.  I only cook it occasionally since it's definitely not low cal!  I have a different recipe I use much more often for homemade mac and cheese.  This recipe came from the wrapping of a pasta package from The Pasta Shoppe.  Can't wait until it gets cool enough out so I can make this!

Macaroni & Cheese
Serves 6-8 as an entree; 8-10 as a side dish.

14 oz. pasta (I usually just use a 16 oz. package of something smallish)
7 Tbsp. butter
1/4 c. plus 2 Tbsp. flour
4 c. whole milk
1 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/8 tsp. cayenne
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
3 c. extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 c. sour cream
1 1/3 c.  grated Parmesan cheese
1  1/2 c. fresh bread crumbs


Preheat oven to 350* and butter a 3 to 4 quart baking dish (9x13).

In heavy saucepan, melt 6 Tbsp. butter over med-low heat.  Add flour and whisk for 3 minutes.  Add milk in a stream, whisking and bring to a boil, whisking.  Add mustard, cayenne, salt and pepper, and simmer, whisking until thickened, approximately 2 minutes.

Cook pasta until al dente.  Drain pasta and in a large bowl gently combine pasta, sauce, cheddar cheese, 1 cup of the Parmesan, and sour cream.  Put into the baking dish.

In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and remaining 1/3 c. Parmesan and sprinkle over the pasta. Cut up the remaining 1 Tbsp. butter and top bread crumbs.

Bake pasta for 25-30 minutes until golden and bubbling.

I changed the amount of bread crumbs for the topping.  When I made this again it's just too much to use a full cup of bread crumbs plus the cheese; 1/2 c bread crumbs will be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment