Monday, November 14, 2011

Stuffed Acorn Squash

I haven't made stuffed acorn squash in a long time.  I used to just make it up as I went along - some sausage, maybe chopped apples, onion, bread crumbs.  Always turned out well.  Not sure why I haven't made it since it's something I really like and it really has the feeling of fall to it.  I found this recipe in the same Family Circle where I got the Korean Rice Bowl.  They had 10 recipes for ground beef beyond the burger and so far the ones we've tried have been a hit.

Stuffed Acorn Squash

2 medium acorn squash, halved and seeds removed
4 slices of bacon, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 Granny Smith Apple, peeled, cored and diced
1 lb ground beef
1/4 c dark brown sugar
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp dried sage
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
2 Tbsp dry bread crumbs

Heat oven to 350*.  Place squash halves cut-side down on a rimmed dish.  Add 2 cups water to dish and bake for 40 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat for 4 minutes.  Add onion and aple.  Cook an additional 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Stir in ground beef.  Cook, breaking meat apart with a wooden spoon, 5 minutes.  Add brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, sage, salt and pepper.  Cook 1 minute.  Remove from heat and stir in bread crumbs.

Drain water from baking dish and flip over squash.  Spoon meat mixture into squash halves.  Return to oven and bake at 350* for 20 minutes.  Serve warm.

I made the meat filling ahead of time, except for adding the bread crumbs.  When I was ready to fix dinner, I cooked the squash as directed, added the bread crumbs to the meat mixture, and continued on.

No comments:

Post a Comment