Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Kitchen Resolutions

So it's a new year and time to tackle some issues in my kitchen.  The top three things I'm going to tackle this month are the utensil junk drawer (not to be mixed up with the junk drawer), organizing the pantry, and cleaning the fridge.  Not looking forward to tackling the last, too much funky stuff growing in the fridge right now. 

I've already started on the utensil drawer.  I heard about this method on some organizing show.  I took everything out of the drawer and put it in a box (I actually need a slightly larger box).  I wiped out the drawer and the only things that got put back are the rolling pin, some knives that I use all the time, and I think the can opener.  Everything else will live in the box until it gets used.  Once it's used, it can go back in the drawer.  At the end of the month, I'll see what's left in the box.  I know there's some things that are used seasonally - juice pop makers, egg decorating things, giant turkey forks.  Those things I'll find a new home for, probably a small storage box in either the laundry room or garage.  Whatever is left, I obviously haven't used in a month and most likely much longer so it'll go in the donate pile.  This is a good way to see what you actually use, not what you think you use. 

Hopefully by the end of the month I'll have a utensil drawer where I can find things and actually get the drawer shut without shuffling everything around, a clean fridge with no funk, and a pantry where we can see what we have and find what we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment