Monday, December 5, 2011

Cranberry bread

Time to get back to cranberries.  I have a bunch of recipes that I'll try to remember to share using fresh cranberries as well as crasins (have I mentioned that I love the Ocean Spray commercials??).  This is a family tradition in our house, Mom always made this cranberry bread at Christmas time and I now make it as well.  I love the orange and cranberry flavor and I've never seen another cranberry bread recipe like it.  This recipe will give your food processor a workout!  I use it to chop shred the oranges, then chop the cranberries and nuts.  Mom used to hand chop the cranberries, I can't imagine doing that but I would for this bread.

Cranberry Bread
makes 3 large loaves

4 c flour
2 c sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 oranges, quartered, seeded, and grated (leave the peel on)
4 Tbsp butter plus boiling water to = 1 1/2 cups
2 eggs
2 cups chopped walnuts
4 cups coarsely chopped cranberries (fresh or frozen)

Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl.  Mix the oranges with the butter/water mixture and add the eggs.  Blend liquid into dry ingredients, stirring only until mixture is dampened.  Add the nuts and cranberries.  Pour into 3 large loaf pans and let sit 20 minutes before baking.  Bake 40-60 minutes at 350*.

The bread is yummy fresh out of the oven with butter or cream cheese.  It's also good the next day, toasted with cream cheese on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment