Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas is coming!

Christmas food traditions vary from home to home.  Growing up we always had what amounted to Thanksgiving, Part II for Christmas Day dinner.  Instead of pumpkin pie for dessert, we had plum pudding and hard sauce, but otherwise it was turkey with all the fixings.  While I enjoy Thanksgiving dinner, once is enough for me.  I think it's the turkey, I'm really not that crazy about it. 

For several years, when it was just the two of us, Bob and I would do something similar if we were on our own.  When we had the girls and started spending Christmas at home, we'd have roast beef for Christmas Eve dinner, then turkey or something else nice on Christmas.  I decided a couple of years ago that we didn't need two big meals back to back and I didn't want to spend Christmas in the kitchen cooking, I wanted to play with my new toys too!  So we've moved to a much more casual Christmas meal, keeping the nice one on Christmas Eve.

Our menu for this year:

Christmas Eve breakfast - coffee cake made in my tree shaped pan, coffee, tea, juice
Christmas Eve dinner - roast beef, scalloped potatoes, green beans, and a Buche de Noel
Christmas morning - sweet rolls (I think I'm going to use the Pioneer Woman's recipe), coffee, tea, juice
Christmas lunch/dinner - chili, mini corn bread muffins

The roast beef and chili have become traditions for our family though the sides vary with what I feel like making.  The Buche de Noel was suggested by Sweet Pea; her French teacher encouraged them to make one for extra credit for class.  Can't wait to try it!

Merry Christmas to all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment