Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Taco soup

First up is taco soup.  I got this recipe from my friend Wendy and it's a good one.  One night last fall, she posted on facebook that she was making taco soup for dinner in her crockpot.  I have much need to use my crockpot these days as the girls are getting older and busier around dinner time and still need me to drive them.  Makes it hard to get dinner on the table.  This is one of those nights!  Sweet Pea has to be at the farm to work, Rosie Jane is babysitting until mid-afternoon, and I've got to meet Sweet Pea at the farm about 6.  No time to cook tonight and I don't think we want to be eating at 8, so taco soup in the crockpot it is.

Taco Soup

1-2 lbs. ground beef (depending on how meaty you want it)
chopped onion (again, use how ever much you want, I'll probably use one and the bit I have leftover from something else)
1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans (she used kidney beans, I've used roman beans)
2 cans of tomatoes (she used petite cut, diced and only 1 can, I think I've used 1 can of diced tomatoes)
1 can Mexican style corn (I just used frozen corn)
1 1/2 cups water
1 envelope Hidden Valley Ranch dressing
1 envelope taco seasoning

Brown ground beef and cook with onion.  Throw into crockpot and add remaining ingredients.  Cook on low for a couple of hours.

You can serve with corn bread or chips (I think we'll do chips tonight).  Add a dollop of sour cream on the top of each serving, maybe some shredded cheddar cheese, sliced green onion.  Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment