Monday, August 29, 2011

Fish wrapped in bacon

OK, so in making this I know already it's not going to be a big hit with my family.  I've made it before and enjoyed it, but since I have two non-fish lovers...  I do have a wonderful hubby who will eat anything I cook.  He may not like it but he'll eat it.  After, he may request not to have it again but he does put a good face on in front of the girls.  I'm sensitive to his likes and won't cook stuff that I love but know he won't eat like shrimp.  I don't even bother with that.  I know he isn't fond of fish but he'll put up with it on occasion as long as it's a bland, boring white fish (I don't cook more yummy fish like salmon at home unless it's for lunch and he's not here).  This dish has bacon and everything is better with bacon but Sweet Pea still doesn't like it.  At least I'm serving it with fried potatoes and green beans tonight, both of which she loves.

Fish Wrapped in Bacon
Modified from a recipe in Better Homes and Gardens

1 lemon
1 1/2 lbs. cod or haddock fillets, cut into 4 pieces
1 1/2 tsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
fresh ground black pepper
8 slices of thin-sliced bacon or pancetta
1 tsp. olive oil

Preheat oven to 450*. From lemon, grate 1 1/2 tsp. peel.  Evenly season fish with rosemary, lemon peel, and pepper.  Lay 2 slices of bacon on a cutting board, overlapping slices slightly.  Place 1 piece of fish across bacon and wrap bacon around fish. Repeat with remaining bacon slices and fish.

Heat oil in a large oven-safe skillet on medium heat until hot.  Add fish to skillet, with seam side of bacon down, and cook 2 minutes. With wide metal spatula, turn fish over and cook 1 minute longer.  Turn fish over again so bacon is seam side down.  Place pan in oven and roast fish 6-8 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.

Serves 4.

1 comment:

  1. Just for the record, Bob said this was good. He said he posted that but for some reason it didn't show up. I think I used a different kind of fish this time that made it better than the first time I made it. Anyway, he liked it and I'll take that.

    ReplyDelete