Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Buttermilk Coffee Cake

I made this the other day because I had some leftover buttermilk from something else I made. I can't believe I forgot about this recipe! It's one of my favorite coffee cakes. It's got a hint of sour from the buttermilk, a touch of nutmeg, and is a lighter, fluffy coffee cake. So good!

Buttermilk Coffee Cake

1 1/4 c flour
3/4 c packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 c butter
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2/3 c buttermilk
1 beaten egg
1/4 c chopped nuts

Preheat the oven to 350*. Combine flour, brown sugar, and salt. Cut in butter till crumbly; set aside 1/2 cup crumb mixture. To remaining crumb mixture add baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well. Add buttermilk and egg and mix well.

Spread batter into a greased 8x8x2 inch baking pan. Stir together reserved crumbs and nuts; sprinkle atop batter. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm.

from Better Homes & Gardens New Cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment