Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Roasted Butternut Squash with Baby Spinach & Cranberries



I found this recipe in Wegman's magazine, the Thanksgiving issue. It looked good and since I'm not cooking Thanksgiving dinner and we both love squash I thought I'd make it tonight. I don't usually do "fancy" side veggie dishes during the week but this was worth the bit of extra effort. It was easy to make and I cooked the chicken as the same time; one way to ensure all the dishes are ready at the same time. I modified the recipe from Wegman's and now it's one of those "use a bit of this, a handful of that" kind of recipes.

Roasted Butternut Squash with Baby Spinach & Cranberries

1 medium butternut squash, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 red onion, chopped
olive oil
salt & pepper
a couple of handfuls of baby spinach
1/3 c dried cranberries

Preheat the oven to 400*. Toss the squash and onion with some olive oil, salt, and pepper. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast for 35-40 minutes until lightly browned and tender. Put the squash into a bowl, add spinach and dried cranberries then toss to combine.

2 comments:

  1. What chicken dish did you pair with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just baked some chicken - olive oil, salt & pepper, thyme. Put the pans in at pretty much the same time and when the squash was done, so was the chicken. Just tossed the squash with the spinach and sliced the chicken, dinner done.

      Delete