Monday, April 2, 2012

Crockpot Coconut Chicken Curry

I found this about a year ago somewhere on the Pioneer Woman's website, I think in her Tasty Kitchen. I printed it out and it got buried on my desk. No big surprise there! I found it last week when I was cleaning my desk looking for something else important that I needed and decided to made it. We all enjoyed it, except Sweet Pea. She was afraid that it would be too much coconut flavor; I didn't really taste it that strongly but she still didn't like it. I'd probably make it again but on some night when she wasn't home.

Coconut Chicken Curry
serves 6

2 lbs boneless chicken breast, cut into large pieces
1 whole onion, peeled and cut into chunks
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 whole small green pepper, seeded and quartered
1 can tomato paste
1 can coconut milk
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 Tbsp garam masala*
2 Tbsp water
1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch

Put chicken into the crockpot. Put the rest of the ingredients except the water and cornstarch into a food processor bowl and process together until the mix is smooth(ish). Pour sauce mix on top of the chicken, mix well. Cook on low for 6 hours.

An hour before serving, mix together water and cornstarch until the cornstarch is completely dissolved. Add to the chicken curry and mix well. Place the lid back on for the rest of the cooking time.

Serve on top of steaming white rice, either jasmine or basmati rice.

*For the garam masala, I used this recipe from allrecipes.com:

1 Tbsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1 1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Mix all ingredients together. Store leftovers in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment