Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Instant Pot Creamy Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup

It's been a while since I've tried anything besides hard boiled eggs in my instantpot. A friend posted on facebook that she was making soup today and that inspired me to look at my pinterest board since I knew I had several instantpot soup recipes saved. It was the perfect day for soup - windy, blustery, and cold! Colder than in Maine. Wow, I'm glad I decided to give this a try. It was SO good and once all the veggies are chopped you just throw it all in the pot, let it cook, then add in a creamy sauce you make separately so it was very easy, too.

Creamy Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup
serves 6

5 medium carrots, chopped
5 stalks celery, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 c uncooked wild rice
8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
4 c vegetable or chicken broth
1 tsp salt
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp dried thyme

6 Tbsp butter
1/2 c flour
1 1/2 c milk (I used 1%)

Put all ingredients through the thyme into the instantpot. Cook 45 minutes (manual, high pressure). Release steam using the valve.

When the soup is done, melt the butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour. Let the mixture cook for a minute or two, then whisk in the milk a little at a time until you have a smooth, thickened sauce. Add a pinch of salt.

Mix the creamy sauce into the soup.

NOTES:
- Make sure you use wild rice, not a wild rice mix.
- Poultry seasoning is a mix of thyme, sage, garlic, onion, etc. I didn't have any on hand (and didn't think to get it when I was hunting for wild rice) so I used thyme, sage, garlic and onion powder, rosemary, and marjoram.

If you don't have an instantpot you can make this on the stove. Saute the vegetables in oil until a bit softened. Add the rest of the soup ingredients and simmer until the rice is cooked (1-2 hours). Make the creamy sauce and mix in.

from Pinch of Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment