Thursday, December 18, 2014

Pumpkin Scones

I decided to make pumpkin scones last month and was perusing one of my Pinterest boards and saw I had three or four different recipes pinned. I gave one a try and decided that one is a keeper, no need to try the rest. I like my scones with a bit of frosting/drizzle on them and found something that sounded good from a different scone recipe and gave it a try. I really liked it, but the girls were not happy I "ruined" their scones. The other major "crisis" was that the first time or two I made these when I patted out the dough it ended up more rectangular so I cut the scones into squares. Apparently that's not acceptable, they need to be triangles so this time I shaped the dough into a more circle shape to get the necessary triangles. Wow, these girls are demanding! Love them anyway. These scones don't last long around our house.

Pumpkin Scones
makes 8

For the scones:

2 c flour
7 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp ginger
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 c pumpkin
3 Tbsp half & half or whole milk (or whatever you have on hand)
1 egg

Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Cut in the butter. In a small bowl, combine the pumpkin, milk, and egg then add to the dry ingredients. Be careful not to overmix. It will take a bit of doing to get the ingredients combined and you may have to get your hands dirty to get the last bits all together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a 1" thick circle and cut into 8ths (I used a pizza cutter for this, made it super easy). Put on a baking sheet and bake at 425* for 16-17 minutes. Remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.

For the ginger molasses icing:

1 c powdered sugar
1 Tbsp molasses
1-2 Tbsp milk
1/4-1/2 tsp ginger (to taste)

Combine all together then drizzle on the scones. Adjust the milk or sugar to get the right consistency, it should be thick but fall off a spoon easily enough to drizzle.

No comments:

Post a Comment