Saturday, September 15, 2012

Lemon-Garlic Shrimp and Grits

Have I mentioned before how much I love it when my family is gone for dinner and I have time to cook? I usually take advantage and fix something for myself that I know they won't like. Tonight that something was shrimp and grits. I saw this recipe on Food Network a while back, pinned it on Pinterest, and knew I'd make it one night when they were gone. It's really easy, pretty quick, and delicious. Sure wish I had remembered to take a picture, it looked really pretty on the plate.

The recipe serves 4 so I made half and will have the leftovers for supper tomorrow night. And don't do as I did; I quick skimmed the recipe and missed the part where it says "peeled and deveined" about the shrimp. Mine were deveined, but had the shells on; it still turned out fine, I just had to peel them after I put them onto my plate.



Lemon-Garlic Shrimp and Grits
serves 4; from The Food Network

3/4 c quick grits
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 1/4 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails intact
2 large cloves garlic, minced
pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
juice of 1/2 lemon

Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Slowly whisk in the grits, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 7 minutes. Stir in the Parmesan and 1 Tbsp butter. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.

Meanwhile, season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Melt the remaining 2 Tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, garlic, and cayenne, if using, and cook, tossing until the shrimp are pink, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and add 2 Tbsp water and the lemon juice; stir to coat the shrimp with the sauce.

Divide the grits among shallow bowls and top with the shrimp and sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment