Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Cookbooks

I still have no time to cook. Hopefully in a couple of weeks things will slow done and I'll be home in the afternoons and dinner time so I can start cooking again. I'm not sure anyone else will be since the girls have so many activities that fall at dinner time or just after, but I'm going to start cooking again soon!

I've been thinking of this post since last month. At the beginning of January, along with lots of New Year's resolutions, I saw many of people talking about the books they were going to read this year, either a specific list of books or a number of books per month. I do have a bunch of books on my "to read" list, but this list is my list of cookbooks to dig into this year. I have lots of cookbooks, plus tons of loose recipes. Most of the cookbooks I have I either got from my grandmother's collection or were given to me at some point. I got several new ones relatively recently that I can't wait to use (or use some more).

When Border's closed, I picked up two of Ellie Krieger's cookbooks, The Food You Crave and So Easy. I've looked through both and have found some recipes that will be good for breakfast. Since we do want to eat healthier I'm excited to look through these more.

About the same time I got Jamie's America by Jamie Oliver. I just love the food he cooks! This cookbook isn't typical of what I think of when I think of his food but I want to take a closer look at his take on some typical American dishes.

I think I got The Pioneer Woman Cooks by Ree Drummond at Border's along with the Ellie Krieger books. I have used this one a few times and found several more recipes that I want to make. I know she's coming out with another cookbook soon, which I can't wait for; I'll probably get that one as well. I like her home cooking, it's really my style. I just have to be careful, some of her dishes are really good, but not so good for you.

Giada's Family Dinners is the last one on my list (at least for now). This one by Giada de Laurentiis was a Christmas present. I've had time to look through it, find some things that I know we'll like and I want to try. Now I just need to find the time for a family dinner so I can try some of her recipes.

I think all these cookbooks, except maybe Jamie's America, have easy to make food that my family is going to like. Some of Jamie's recipes look a bit more complicated and some include stuff, like spices, that my meat and potatoes man doesn't care for although if I cook it, he'll eat it. As we go through the year and I make some yummy food from my new cookbooks, I'll come back and give a review on how the dishes tasted and how my family liked them.

No comments:

Post a Comment